DIY Dresser Making 1.

This past summer, I made two dressers for me and my husband. We have shared one dresser ever since I came to America (I'm from Korea as you can tell from my blog name) because we only lived in studios before we bought a house. Now, we have own our bedroom and don't have to save any space for other stuff. So I decided to have two dressers and make them by myself! How To Build A Dresser From Scratch 1. Planning I started by planning what color I wanted for the dressers, what color door knobs or pulls I wanted, how many drawers I would need, and how big the dresser should be.  Since our room color is a warm-tone white, I wanted the drawers to be a cool-tone white to contrast with the wall. I also wanted the top to be a natural wood color to give a little warmth so it didn't look too cool. Door knob color was easy to pick because all the hardware in our room was gold. So I wanted them to be gold too to match. For the size, I didn't really have a choice because our room has

How To Install Flush Mount LED Ceiling Light For Staircase

My cape cod second floor has a pretty low ceiling. Before renovating the area, I found out the top corner of the closet door(there is a closet right in front of the stairs) was sanded down because of a ceiling light fixture. So I had to remove the old lighting and get some kind of low profile light fixture for the low ceiling. 
I originally wanted to have a recessed light, but I didn't want to play around the old wires to remove the junction box. So I had to find a ceiling light with a very thin body. 

After a lot of searching, I found one from Home Depot.


The light thickness was 1.625 inches and it was perfect to allow the closet door to be opened and closed without hitting anything.
There were 6 different options for finishes; Bronze, Brushed Brass, Brushed Nickel, Matte Black, Matte White and Polished Nickel. The available sizes were 11", 13", 15" and 19".
I got the 11 in. Brushed Brass one so I could match it with brushed brass door knobs in the hallway.

How To Install Flush Mount LED Ceiling Light

Replacing a light fixture is a very basic and simple process even if you don't know anything about electric work. However, you always have to make sure that the circuit breaker is off before doing anything. 

1. Turn off the circuit breaker

Like I said, I turned off the circuit breaker first and then removed the old light fixture. Since the wires were old and no differentiating color insulation, I couldn't tell which one was black(live) and white(
neutral) without remembering the wire connection with the original light fixture. So I marked the wire connector while I was disconnecting them.

If you forgot to do that, there is nothing to worry about. You can always check it with a voltage tester to find which wire is black(live).

2. Install the mounting bracket

If you buy a light fixture which you have to mount to the ceiling or wall, it usually comes with a mounting bracket. 

Mine came like in the picture above and I had to unscrew the locking screw to remove it from the fixture. Then I attached it to the junction box with 2 screws that came with the package like the picture below.

3. Connect wires

I connected the ground wire(bare copper) from the fixture to the ground screw(green screw on the mounting bracket) by wrapping it around the body of screw first and then tightening by screwing it in. 

The wires from the panel didn't have a ground wire so I didn't have to hook it with the fixture's ground wire. But you have to connect it together with a wire connector if you have it.
Once the ground wire was connected, I went ahead and connected the rest of the wires. 

I used a wire connector to connect the black(live) wire from the junction box to the black wire from the fixture and the white(neutral) wire from the junction box to the white wire from the fixture. 

4. Secure the fixture and choose the color temperature

After all the wires were connected, I turned the circuit breaker back on and tested if it worked.

Once I checked that the fixture was working fine, I pushed those wires inside of the junction box as much as possible and then could secure the fixture to the ceiling. 

I hung one side of the fixture on the hook from the mounting bracket first(picture above), aligned the other side of the fixture to the locking hole from the bracket, and then screwed the locking screw in (picture below).

I had 5 different options for the color temperature; 2700K(warm white), 3000K(soft white), 3500K(neutral white), 4000K(bright white), 5000K(daylight) and selected the brightest.

5. Place the fixture ring and finish

After everything was set up, the last thing I did was secured the ring to the fixture. 

To do that, I aligned the two arrows from the fixture and the ring so they pointed at each other. Then I placed the ring over the fixture and turned it clockwise until it locked.

And here is the finished look! 

Before

After

The fixture gives enough light for a small hallway or staircase just like my area. I love the gold ring because it matches with the brushed brass door knobs and the off-white wall color. 

I hope this post was helpful for your project and I will see you at the next one!






Comments